Thursday, December 11, 2008

Trust in my co-workers

I'm doing a study that has as one component trust in co-workers. I have a fairly standard measure of trust that can be scored on a 50-point scale, with higher numbers meaning more trust in coworkers. The numbers are averaging about 26 for the people I am surveying.

Honestly, these are horrible numbers. Like so bad I think people didn't understand the questions. But they get the reverse-scored questions right, so I have to think they do. And these people know each other. Very well.

I really wish I had surveyed people further afield.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait a minute, does your measure assess general "trust" or goal-related trust. As in - what do they trust them to do (or to be or to accomplish) or the general "do i trust this person with my life, work and first newborn"? Cause you wouldn't expect most people to give you assessments higher than about 26 for the latter ;)

1:34 AM  
Blogger MJH said...

It's a pretty general measure of team-related trust. "We can freely share ideas," "The team would have a sense of loss if a member was transferred," "People approach the job with professionalism"

Trust is negatively correlated (but not significantly) with a) tenure at the company (p=.067) and b) tenure with the team. (p=.071)

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where'd this come from, did you develop this survey instrument? It sounds intriguing and I'm nosy enough to want to see it if it's available to the public and not just an internal thing at your job. It's not like I *need* such a thing.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home