Friday, February 11, 2005

The Albert Speer Theory of Boyfriends

I've been looking at men recently with an eye towards what I would call "The Albert Speer Theory of Boyfriends." (ASTB, for short) The art-history people have probably already figured out what I am talking about, but for every one else, a brief digression. Albert Speer (and, yes, I know, it is a Wikipedia entry) was the house architect for the Third Reich. He came up with the concept of the "Ruin Value" of architecture: buildings should be designed in such a way as to leave monumental ruins. The Greeks and Romans had this down pat, viz. the Parthenon and the Pantheon.

The ASTB basically says that when selecting boyfriends, one should look at what they look like today, but also take into account what they will look like 20 years later. Will the boyfriend (by then, more likely husband) still quicken your pulse?

Not that I have any good candidates here. But just something I've been thinking about recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home